Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Brasstown Century

Ten days ago Buddy Perdue, Preston (my son) and I traveled to Helen, GA, to participate in a 100 mile bike ride. Now it was no ordinary bike ride. It's in the mountains of north Georgia and it finishes climbing to the highest point in Georgia, Brasstown Bald. Therefore, difficult is an understatement when describing the ride. Well, describing the last 20 miles. I'll not bore you with all the details, but to say in the final 20 miles there is a 7 mile climb and then Brasstown is 2.5 miles and over 2,000 feet of climbing. STEEP.

It proved to be the most difficult 20 miles I have ever ridden and in particular clearly the most difficult final 2.5 miles.

OK, a fair question is why would we drive 350 miles to participate? The physical benefits? Yes. The challenge? Yes. Bragging rights? Probably. But most of all, for me I have discovered a great gift in cycling that in 2 1/2 years has completely reversed my physical health. To put it another way, you may recall in the hymn "Amazing Grace" the line, "I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see." I once was fat and out of shape, now I'm a little heavy and headed toward cardiovascular health. I'm not where I need to be but I am much better off than I was 2.5 years ago.

Yet, as important as the health benefits, I realize that God is an awesome, mighty, powerful, gracious, loving and ever-present God. Some things are beyond human ability. All things are possible through Christ. I would have never dreamed I could climb on a bike over 2,000 ft. in 2.5 miles. Folks, just to be honest, I thought I was riding straight up. It gives me an opportunity to pause and give God a great big thanks every time I accomplish something that seems impossible. And I do that because God used a bunch of great people to orchestrate by love for cycling. To be honest, last Saturday when I finally made it to the top after almost 8 hours riding my bike, I wept, for joy. Its a long story for another post, but I just weep for joy almost every time I reach the end of a ride I couldn't have possibly done before.

God can be discovered in so many different ways and circumstances. Even on a bike.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Without going into great detail, I'll just say "You're awesome". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kinda like what awaits us after this life. So let's just enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete